Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day- in fact, I like to eat breakfast food at any time of the day really (zero food rules here)! I personally feel that if I start off with a well rounded meal, I am really set up for success throughout the rest of the day. The two most important elements for me in the morning? Protein and fiber. Once I know where I’m getting these two key components, then I build a solid meal from there.
With the holiday season really kicking off, often our lunches and dinners will be filled with sweet treats, cocktail hours, and meals that are light on the protein and veggies and heavy on the hyperpalatable carbs and fats. For this reason, I try to have my clients get in the routine of starting the day off on a good foot- below are four breakfast recipes to help you do the same!
PB+J PROTEIN PANCAKES
2 Servings of Birch Benders Paleo Mix (70g)
¼ cup Siggi’s Vanilla (I use the lactose free)
2 tsp psyllium husk (optional)
¼ + 2 T cup milk of choice (or water)
2 tsp Kerry Gold butter
½ T Peanut Butter
½ T Jelly
½ T Maple Syrup
1 tsp manitoba harvest hemp seeds
1. Mix together all of the pancake ingredients and whisk with a fork
2. Heat up a skillet on medium and add 1 tsp butter
3. Use a ¼ cup as your batter “scoop” and ladle 2-3 cakes into the pan
4. Let the pancakes cook about 2 minutes per side, checking frequently
5. Repeat for the second half of the batter
6. Top the cakes with your desired toppings- makes two small or one large serving!
DAVE'S EGG SANDWICH
1 Dave’s Killer Bread English Muffin (this is also great with a Dave’s Pumpkin Bagel!)
½ Avocado (mashed)
¼ cup Broccoli Sprouts
1. Toast the english muffin (I like a very light toast)
2. Spread each side with the mashed avocado
3. Put 2 T of sprouts on top of the avocado on each side
4. Scramble 2-3 eggs and put them on top and enjoy!
SIMPLE SAUSAGE BAKE
2 Sweet Peppers
2 Whole Carrots
2 Small Red Onion
2 Medium Sweet Potato
2 Packages Sausage (I like Trader Joe’s or Aidell’s chicken apple flavors)
1. Chop up all of your favorite veggies (options could be zucchini, peppers, carrots, red onion and sweet potato like me or you could get wild and add some brussel sprouts in there)
2. Chop up your sausage
3. Toss it all in a bowl with a couple tablespoons of avocado oil and copious amounts of Italian seasoning
4. Bake at 375 for 60-75 minutes
EASY EGG BAKE
2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
1 Red Onion
1 Head of Broccoli
2 Sweet Peppers
1 T Avocado Oil
1. Chop the sweet potatoes into cubes and toss in ½ T avocado oil, then bake at 425 for 20 minutes.
2. While they are cooking, chop the other veggies and then sauté them in the remainder of the avocado oil for 3-5 minutes towards the end of when the potatoes are cooking.
3. When the sweet potatoes are done, put half of the veggie mix and half of the potatoes on the bottom of a 9x12 Pyrex dish sprayed with avocado oil spray (I use chosen foods).
4. Crack 18 eggs into a separate bowl and whisk with garlic, salt and pepper.
Pour the eggs over the vegetable mix.
5. Add the rest of the veggies on top and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes, until the center is fully cooked.
CARROT CAKE OVERNIGHT OATS
40g ( ½ cup) quick cooking oats
75g (about half a single serve container) Siggi’s vanilla Skyr
50g shredded carrots
½ scoop vanilla collagen peptides (I use Lifetime’s brand)
½ T chia seeds
¼ cup almond milk
¼ cup egg whites
1. Shred carrots using a cheese grater or food processor. I buy a bag of matchstick carrots and shred a bunch using the food processor for the week.
2. Combine all ingredients into a bowl, let sit overnight.
3. Heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and enjoy!